World-1st How to STOP Thieves from Changing Your Apple ID Password on a Stolen iPhone (2024)

taimur-ahmad

Jul 16, 2020
https://goo.gl/maps/D243t2pBqZXFphDL9
Language
English
PayPal Me

Donate money to this user
How to STOP Thieves from Changing Your Apple ID Password on a Stolen iPhone

A recent Wall Street Journal article highlighted a concerning vulnerability: thieves can hijack your Apple ID by changing the password on a stolen iPhone. This alarming exploit puts your entire digital life at risk, from photos and messages to financial accounts linked to your Apple Pay. But don't despair, there are steps you can take to deter this from happening.

How to secure your Apple ID against theft:

1. Layer Your Security:
  • Strong Passcode : Use a complex, alphanumeric passcode at least 12 characters long. Avoid easily guessable patterns or personal information.
  • Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) : Enable 2FA with your trusted phone number or a physical security key. This adds an extra layer of protection, requiring a verification code even with the correct password.
2. Restrict Access:
  • Content & Privacy Restrictions : Utilize Screen Time's "Content & Privacy Restrictions" feature. Go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases. Require your Screen Time passcode for any changes to Account Information, including Apple ID. This adds another hurdle for thieves.
  • App Store Password : Set a separate password for App Store purchases. This further hinders unauthorized changes to your Apple ID.
3. Proactive Measures:
  • Recovery Key : Set up a strong Recovery Key for your Apple ID. This is an essential backup for regaining access if you lose your password or device.
  • Find My iPhone : Keep "Find My iPhone" enabled and ensure it's linked to a trusted iCloud account. This allows you to remotely locate, lock, or erase your iPhone if it's lost or stolen.
4. Stay Vigilant:
  • Be aware of your surroundings : Avoid displaying your passcode in public and be cautious when entering it around others.
  • Regularly update your device and software : Install the latest iOS updates to benefit from security patches and fixes.
  • Bonus Tip : Consider using a third-party password manager with additional security features like breach alerts and multi-device authentication.
  • Remember : No single measure is foolproof, but implementing these steps significantly increases the difficulty for thieves to access your Apple ID. By layering security, restricting access, and staying vigilant, you can take control of your digital life and protect yourself from Apple ID theft.
Resources:
  1. Apple Support: Apple ID Security: SUPPORT
  2. Two-factor authentication: 2FA
  3. Find My iPhone: FMI
By taking these steps, you can significantly reduce your risk of Apple ID theft and ensure your iPhone remains a secure haven for your personal data.